Repurposing a Victorian furniture factory in the London Borough of Camden, pH+ Architects has created a 10,500-sq-ft office that combines the existing building’s architectural heritage with the growing need for creative workspace in the borough.
A two-storey warehouse on the riverfront of London Docks has been converted into sustainable studio space by architecture practice JTP. In designing its own office, the practice was able to put the health and wellbeing of its staff and the existing building at the heart of the design.
Local design practice Annvil has revitalised a former cork factory, built in 1910, as Zuzeum – a 4,000 sq m gallery for the world’s largest private collection of Latvian art, owned by collectors Dina and Jānis Zuzāni. Over 20,000 pieces of work – including painting, sculpture and design – are spread over two galleries.
Berlin-based practice LXSY Architekten completed the restoration and adaptation of a former post office building in the city’s Kreuzberg quarter; an area which became a place for ‘creatives’ following the second world war. The architect has converted the listed building, constructed in the 1920s, into a co-working and event space for Spielfeld Digital Hub.
Named Dr. Atl 285, the 3,600 sq m project takes advantage of the existing building’s geometric layout of reinforced‐concrete columns by breaking the floor plates into 35 open‐plan apartments.
The so called ‘Bilbao effect’ has been extensively covered in academic writing and by journalists. This essay – a sample of a longer piece – instead explores the building’s historic significance to the region, and the North East’s need for a new post-industrial identity, as well as examining the method of conversion to determine the success of BALTIC as an act of adaptive reuse and to identify its role in the redevelopment of Tyneside.
Concrete columns, steel beams and vivid greenery define the intervention of a 112 m2 apartment in the historical centre of Ecuadorian capital Quito. Originally built in the 1970s, the building sits in the heart of a changing urban area in which many properties built for housing are being repurposed as warehouses or commercial units.
Architecture has been shared with a wider public since the rise of reprography and the printed image for consumer publication in the early nineteenth century. The revolution of serial publication changed the way in which we absorbed and understood architecture, turning it from a physical form into a reproducible visual commodity in two dimensions.
Since winning the Turner Prize in 2015, multidisciplinary collective Assemble has become a well-known name in architectural design. It was a year earlier, however, that it won an open competition, held by Goldsmiths, University of London, to transform the service spaces of an 1898 bath house into a gallery for contemporary art.
A matryoshka is more commonly known as a Russian doll: hollow and split in two halves, with each layer containing a smaller figure. Local architecture studio Shift fixed up a run-down townhouse into two high-end apartments, stripping the shell to its bare bones before suspending smaller elements into the tall voids to create a matryoshka effect.