Repurposing a Victorian furniture factory in the London Borough of Camden, pH+ Architects has created a 10,500-sq-ft office that combines the existing building’s architectural heritage with the growing need for creative workspace in the borough.
A two-storey warehouse on the riverfront of London Docks has been converted into sustainable studio space by architecture practice JTP. In designing its own office, the practice was able to put the health and wellbeing of its staff and the existing building at the heart of the design.
Local design practice Annvil has revitalised a former cork factory, built in 1910, as Zuzeum – a 4,000 sq m gallery for the world’s largest private collection of Latvian art, owned by collectors Dina and Jānis Zuzāni. Over 20,000 pieces of work – including painting, sculpture and design – are spread over two galleries.
Concrete columns, steel beams and vivid greenery define the intervention of a 112 m2 apartment in the historical centre of Ecuadorian capital Quito. Originally built in the 1970s, the building sits in the heart of a changing urban area in which many properties built for housing are being repurposed as warehouses or commercial units.
A matryoshka is more commonly known as a Russian doll: hollow and split in two halves, with each layer containing a smaller figure. Local architecture studio Shift fixed up a run-down townhouse into two high-end apartments, stripping the shell to its bare bones before suspending smaller elements into the tall voids to create a matryoshka effect.
It began as a playful idea. Supermachine Studio took the Hubba logo as a template and a network of lines was expanded and multiplied across the page. Take this into three dimensions and the network has the chance to grow, occupying the interior space.